COVID-19 Information for People with Disabilities
Disability Rights Wisconsin created this page to provide you with links to resources, news, and other information important to people with disabilities regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. It contains resources and links from us, our disability advocacy partners, state agencies, and government and health authorities.
During this time we are here to help! Though our physical offices are closed, we are still open and handling new requests for services, working on cases, providing online resources on our website and social media, and offering as many of our other services as possible using remote technology.
If you are having a disability rights related issue, please contact us.
The ADA and Face Mask Policies (updated: 03/10/22)
From the Governor
Healthcare, Medicaid and Long Term Care
- DRW Open Letter to Providers on Healthcare Rationing (3/26/2020)
- Department of Health Services COVID-19 Update
- COVID-19 Health Care Providers
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- Hotline: The Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) - call 888-677-1199 from Monday to Friday, 8:00am - 7:00pm (Central) for assistance.
- The Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) connects callers to information about how to access the COVID-19 vaccine and related supports for people with disabilities. DIAL connects callers to vaccine sites and provides information related to barriers to vaccination by referring callers to local and national disability resources.
- Document: Vaccine Guides: Facts and Busting Myths (Wisconsin Board for People with Developmental Disabilities)
- Document: Vaccine Info Sheet - Plain Language (Wisconsin Board for People with Developmental Disabilities)
- Document: Vaccine Information for Family Care Participants and their Caregivers (BPDD)
- Document: Vaccine Information for IRIS (Include, Respect, I Self-Direct) participants and their caregivers (B.P.D.D.)
- Document: Vaccine Information for Children's Disability Programs (C.L.T.S) participants and their caregivers (B.P.D.D.)
- Video: Living Well: COVID-19 Vaccine Update #1 (BPDD)
- Video: Living Well Project: Busting COVID-19 Vaccine Myths (BPDD)
COVID-19 Testing Information
- Order: Free COVID Home Tests via USPS
- Every US household is eligible to order up to 3 rounds of free COVID at-home tests, which is delivered via USPS.
- For assistance with placing an order for tests, call 1-800-232-0233 (TTY: 1-888-720-7489).
- Order: Free COVID Home Tests that are More Accessible for People who are Blind or Have Low Vision
- Accessible at-home COVID tests for people who are blind or have low vision and do not have any other options to use standard COVID at-home tests are available. These tests make use of a compatible Bluetooth-enabled smartphone and an app to provide audio step-by-step instructions for administering the test and for reading results.
- Hotline: The Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) - call 888-677-1199 from Monday to Friday, 8:00am - 7:00pm (Central) for assistance with ordering at-home test kits, and connecting to available local testing options and information and resources to overcome barriers to accessing these services.
- Hotline: DRW Medicare Part D Helpline - call 1-800-926-4862 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are on Medicare and want more information on other free Medicare preventive services.
- Those on Medicare or Medicare Advantage are eligible for up to 8 free over-the-counter COVID tests per month, which also includes the more accessible tests.
- COVID and School Safety: Options for Children with Disabilities or Complex Medical Conditions – DRW/Family Voices Factsheet (9-2021)
- COVID-19 Special Education Updates and Resources - DPI
- COVID-19 Special Education Question and Answer Document – DPI (updated frequently)
- Children with Disabilities during COVID-19 - DRW FAQ (rev. 11-2020)
- Masks in Schools During COVID-19 - DRW FAQ (rev. 11-2020)
Wellness and Safety
- Mental Health and COVID-19 (Mental Health Association WI)
- Staying Resilient During COVID-19
- Living Well: COVID-19 Resource Toolkit (BPDD)
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Mental Health (Mental Health First AID) (7/27/2020)
- Economic Impact Payments (IRS)
- Social Security Office COVID-19 (SSA)
- Economic Impact Payments Paid by the CARES Act (SSA)
Survivors/Victims of Crime
- “Know Your Right to Be Safe at Home” Video (NDRN, featuring Disability Rights WI staff)
- COVID-19 Resources (End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin)
- Futures without Violence: Information on COVID-19 For Survivors, Communities, And DV/SA Programs
- National Network to End Domestic Violence: Resources on Coronavirus
- EEOC: Pandemic Preparedness in the Workplace and the Americans with Disabilities Act (3/21/2020)
- EEOC: What you should know about the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act and COVID 19 (3/19/2020)
- Job Accommodation Network: COVID-19