How to Get Help

Need Help?

To find out if we can help with your situation, please contact us in one of the following ways:

Telephone (toll free): 800-928-8778

DRW Voter Hotline: 844-347-8683

Online: Fill out a request form

Email to:

Mail a letter to:

Disability Rights Wisconsin
ATTN:  Intake
1502 West Broadway, Suite 201
Madison, WI 53713

When contacting us by email or postal mail, please include:

  • your name
  • your contact information
  • preferred method of contact (phone, email or letter)
  • who you are contacting us about (yourself, family member, or other)
  • what city/town or county the person with a disability lives in
  • a brief description about your concern or issue that you are requesting help for

What can I expect when I contact you?

All requests for help must first go through our Intake process. When you contact us, we need to gather information to determine how or if we can help with your request and situation. An Intake Specialist will talk with you and ask questions to obtain the information we need to process your request, including information about your disability.

If you are contacting us on behalf of someone else, we may ask to speak directly to that person.  This is because, in most cases, we take direction from the person with the disability who needs help unless they are a minor or they have a legal guardian.

When you contact us by phone, our front desk staff will start the process by asking you a few basic questions before passing along the request to an intake specialist.  If you contact us about an issue we cannot help with we will do our best to refer you to someone outside of our agency who may be able to help.

If you call us with a request, but no one is available to take your call, please leave a voice mail message in our general voicemail. In your message, please provide the same information listed above.

When can I expect to hear back from you?

We process requests in the order we receive them, typically between one to three business days.  If we do not receive enough information about the type of help you need from the initial contact request, someone may contact you before we can assign you to one of our Intake Specialists.

How will an Intake Specialist decide whether you can help me?

An intake specialist will talk with you about your concern and ask you a variety of questions to better understand the specifics of your situation. Our federal and state funding sources also require us to collect certain types of information about disability, age, gender, race, place of residence, etc.  All of these questions are necessary to figure out if we can help you, the type of help we can give, and what resources and referrals we can give you as well.

Our advocacy teams meet weekly to review requests that have gone through our Intake process.  The team determines how we can help based on the situation and needs of the person with a disability, our Case Acceptance Criteria, and if we have the resources to offer the type of help you’re seeking.

What if I have a Complaint about DRW?

If you don't agree with DRW's decision about whether it can help you or you have a complaint about the services you received, we first encourage you to speak with a supervisor about your concerns. If this doesn't solve the problem or you do not wish to speak with a supervisor, you can file a grievance.  Find out how to file a grievance.