Other Places that May Help

If we can not help you directly with your particular issue, we will do our best to give you a referral to another agency that may be able to help you.  The following agencies are also useful resources:

Legal Assistance

  • Legal Action of Wisconsin
    Provides civil legal services for people with low income. Assists people with legal issues involving elder abuse, health care, Medicare, Social Security, public benefits, employment, guardianship, migrant workers, landlord/tenant, family law issues for victims of domestic violence, and more. Offices in Green Bay, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, Oshkosh, and Racine.
  • Wisconsin Judicare
    Serves low-income people in 33 northern counties of WI. Handles cases involving bankruptcy, social security and SSI, family law, health, housing, income maintenance, wills, and Indian law.
  • State Bar of Wisconsin Lawyer Referral and Information Service  Search for an attorney or speak to a legal assistant.
    • Modest Means Program
      Part of the State Bar's Lawyer Referral and Information Service. Provides legal assistance to people whose income is too high to qualify for free legal services, but too low to pay a lawyer’s standard rate.
  • Community Justice Incorporated
    (South Central Wisconsin) A law firm that represents low-income individuals and families involved in landlord/tenant, disability and mental health, employment, family, child welfare, education, discrimination, consumer/credit, land use, environmental issues.
  • Economic Justice Institute (UW Law School)
    Home to the law school's legal assistance programs.

Directories and Information

Advocacy and Resource Agencies

  • Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRC)
    ADRC's provide information on broad range of programs and services, helps people understand the various long term care options available to them, helps people apply for programs and benefits, and serves as the access point for publicly-funded long term care.
  • Board on Aging and Long Term Care (BOALTC)  The Long Term Care Ombudsman Program provides advocacy services to persons age 60  and older who are consumers of Wisconsin long term care programs. 
  • Independent Living Centers (ILC's) provide assistance to people with all kinds of disabilities.  Services provided by ILCs include: peer support, information and referral, independent living skills training, coordination of personal care and other services, advocacy and community education.
  • ABC for Health, Inc
    Legal staff may help you "challenge health insurance claim denials, negotiate with creditors, and represent you in appeals before government agencies."