Join us on Zoom to learn about voting rights for people under guardianship. We will discuss how voting rights are addressed in the guardianship process, and the process for restoring the right to vote. This training will provide information to support people with disabilities and older adults to retain or restore their voting rights.
Registration is required for this Zoom event. Register here.
ASL Interpreters and captioning will be provided. Other accommodations may be requested when registering.
Opening Remarks: Barbara Beckert, Disability Rights Wisconsin
How I Got My Right to Vote Back, a video message from Jennifer Kratsch, voter and self-advocate
Retaining & Restoring the Right to Vote: Ellen Henningsen, Director, Voting Rights & Guardianship Project, Disability Rights Wisconsin (DRW)
Panel and Moderated Questions:
- Mitch Hagopian, Managing Attorney, DRW
- Peter Navis, Judicial Court Commissioner, Walworth County
- Polly Shoemaker, Wisconsin Guardianship Support Center Attorney
Competency, Guardianship and Voting in Wisconsin
Available in English and Spanish.
- View the English-language brochure here (accessible pdf).
- View the Spanish-language brochure here (accessible pdf).
Disability Rights Wisconsin in partnership with the Wisconsin Board for People with Developmental Disabilities and the Wisconsin Disability Vote Coalition.
- CIL Western Wisconsin
- Employment Resources, Inc. (ERI)
- Greater Wisconsin Agency on Aging Resources, Inc.
- League of Women Voters of Wisconsin
- LOV Inc. – Living Our Visions Inclusively
- Milwaukee County DHHS Aging and Disability Services
- My Choice Wisconsin
- People First Wisconsin
- Survival Coalition of Wisconsin Disability Organizations
- The Arc Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Coalition of Independent Living Centers
- Wisconsin Guardianship Association
- Wisconsin Guardianship Support Center
Who should attend?
This statewide training is for:
- Person with a disability/older adult
- Family member and/or guardian of a person with a disability or older adult
- Aging and Disability Resource Center Staff
- Managed Care and IRIS staff; Department of Health Services staff
- Department of Public Instruction staff
- County and State Children’s Long-Term Care staff
- Health Care Providers
- Service Providers