Issues We Can Not Help You With

Why we may not be able to take your case

If you contact us with an issue that we can not help you with, we will do our best to refer you to another organizations that may be able to provide the help you need.  You may also visit our Referrals page to find other resources for advocacy, attorney or legal services providers, or other agencies who work with your specific issue.   To learn more about issues we can not help with, see the questions and answers below.

I have a disability.  Does this mean you can help me with my issue?

It depends on the issue.  We only handle certain issues that are directly related to disability.  We do not provide assistance for issues that are unrelated to disability, even if the person has a disability.  For example, we could not help you if you have a disability but feel you were discriminated against at your job because of your race or gender.

In general we do not help the following types of issues:

  • Social Security disability applications and appeals (contact your ADRC for help instead)
  • Assistance with becoming the guardian of an individual with a disability
  • Bankruptcy
  • Child custody
  • Consumer law not involving assistive technology
  • Criminal defense
  • Destroying or sealing records of a criminal conviction
  • Divorce
  • Employment benefits such as short- and long-term disability or retirement
  • Estate planning such as preparing a trust or will
  • Family law in general; in some case pertaining to victims of crime, we may be able to assist.
  • Immigration
  • Medical or professional malpractice
  • Out-of-state issues
  • Personal injury claims
  • Traffic violations
  • Unemployment insurance
  • Workers compensation

I do not have a disability.  Can you help me?

Probably not.  To qualify for our services, you must be a person with a disability.  There are a few exceptions where we may be able to help people who have been discriminated against because someone believes they have a disability, because they are associated with someone who has a disability, or because their child or family member has a disability.   But in general, we handle cases only for people who have a disability and who have an issue related to their disability.

Can you help me find a job, housing, or financial assistance?

We do not help people find jobs, housing, or financial assistance.  However, we may be able to provide legal help to eliminate barriers to employment and housing.

We do not provide non-legal case management or other social services.  If you are seeking non-legal case management or social services, we recommend that you contact your local Independent Living Center (ILC).  An ILC is a community-based organization run by and for people with disabilities that offers services and support for people with disabilities.

Where Else Can I Go for Help?

If you need help for an issue we cannot help with, please visit our Referrals page to find an advocacy organization, resource center, attorney or legal services provider who may be able to help with your particular issue.  If you are not sure if your situation is something we can help with or not, feel free to contact us.  You can also go to our Resource Center and find more information or resources for people with disabilities that may be helpful to your situation.