The state budget process is underway. Legislators will make decisions that will impact your access to mental health services, special education services, community based long term care, transportation, voting, and much more.
This is an important time to share your budget priorities with legislators. Here are some tips on how you can share your ideas and priorities with the Joint Finance Committee which is preparing the state budget.
Attend a Joint Finance Committee Public Hearing and Register to Speak
Hearing information and locations can be found on the Joint Finance Committee 2023-2025 Biennial Budget Public Comment website.
Four hearing are being held:
- Waukesha – April 5
- Eau Claire – April 11
- Wisconsin Dells – April 12
- Minocqua – April 26
See our Tips for Speaking at a JFC Hearing.
DRW will have a resource table at each hearing. Stop by and we can give you a hand to navigate the process or share budget resources.
Can’t attend a JFC Public Hearing? You still have options.
- Submit written comments:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. Mail to:
Joe Malkasian, Room 305 East, State Capitol, Madison, WI 53702
- Post in the Public Comment Form on JFC website: Joint Committee on Finance Public Comment Website (wisconsin.gov)
- Key points to cover in your comments:
- Your name, where you live, and your job if relevant.
- Introduce your issue and how it impacts you or your family. Include a personal story or example.
- Make your ask – share the budget proposals that matter to you and why. And be sure to say thank you!
- If speaking at hearing, write down what you want to say and bring it with you. Be brief – speakers are limited to 2 – 3 minutes.
What’s in the budget?
Here are links to resources with information about mental health and disability related items in the budget. These can help you to prepare your comments.
- DRW State Budget presentation
- Survival Coalition: Analysis of Governor’s Budget Proposal
- View DRW’s 2023-2025 Biennial Budget and Policy Priorities for Wisconsinites with Disabilities (accessible PDF).
- 2023 Joint Committee on Finance list of committee members and committee staff
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Governor Evers Proposed 2023 – 2025 Budget.
- Wisconsin Department of Administration: 2023-25 Executive Budget proposed by Governor Evers
- Who Are My Legislators – enter your home address in the “Find Your Legislator” box