DRW Self-Advocacy Guide: Filing an IDEA State Complaint

As a parent of a child receiving special education services, you have the right under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA) to engage in dispute resolution when you disagree with your child’s school regarding their Individualized Education Program (IEP) and educational services. One form of dispute resolution is to file what is called a “state complaint” with Wisconsin’s Department of Public Instruction (DPI). This guide will walk you through the process.

This guide is available in the following languages: